SLOPE OF THE LINE
The laying of rails of 20 and 25 Kg/m took place between 1898 and 1914. These were manufactured at the "Mossbay Steel" factories and the "Homécourt et Joeuf" steelworks in France.
In 1947 the renovation and reinforcement of the line, and its structures, increased the permitted loading to 9.5 T per axle. Part of the track renovation was completed with rails of 30 Kg/m, manufactured by the "Wendel" factories in France. This renovation continued until 1975.
The rails, all of the "patin" flat bottomed base type, called "Vignoles", were fixed to metal sleepers of the "Menelik" type made in the "Virloy" and "Micheville" factories in France. The rails were secured by steel crapauds sleeper clips, nuts and bolts. They were laid on a ballast bed, usually 4 metres wide, made of crushed stones of chalky or volcanic origin.
There were also 75 kilometres of station tracks and specific branch lines.